Prune and Walnut Bars
Makes 12 bars
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups pitted prunes, chopped, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a 9-inch square pan with baking paper. Set aside.
2. Place butter, sugar and 1/2 cup of chopped prunes in a mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Turn off mixer and add flour mixture. Beat on low speed until flour is fully mixed in.
5. Add walnuts and remaining prunes. Beat just until combined. Bake for about 1 hour or until top is crusty. Cool for 5 minutes before unmolding onto a rack. Cool completely.
*Substitute dates for the prunes and turn the bars into food for the gods. Or use dried mangoes to make luscious mango bars.
Recipe and styling by Tina Concepcion Diaz, originally published in Food Magazine. Photograph by Paulo Valenzuela.